- Skidmore Saratoga Memory Project
- Oral Histories
- Browse Collections
- Contact Us
A Home for the Center
After first meeting in the Saratoga Springs Public Library, American Legion Home, & Presbyterian Church, the Club sought a permanent home.
162 Circular Street
Incorporated as the Senior Center of Saratoga Springs in 1957, the group, led by Claude Van Wie, purchased 162 Circular Street in 1958. It opened in 1959 and remained the Center’s home until 1979, when the current home, at 5 Williams Street opened.
5 Williams Street
In the mid-1970s, the still-growing Center, whose membership had reached around 250, was in need of a larger, more modern facility. The $380,000 new center, opened in November 1978 and was dedicated in April 1979, with over 300 in attendance. Center President Robert Gass thanked the many who supported the initiative, which was funded largely by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, with additional city and state funds, as well as substantial community contributions. The Economic Opportunity Council supported a kitchen and dining area for over-60s. Proceeds from sale of the 162 Circular Street property contributed to purchases of furniture.
In 1993, the Center added the Kilmer Pavilion using bequest funds from Margaret Kilmer of Greenfield to be used for classes, meeting and small parties. More recently, the Center added a carport and upgraded the entrance in 2012, along with less visible infrastructure changes.